Council's actions to help reduce preventable 'open space fires'

Salisbury City Council's Parks and Open Spaces Team has been carrying out a programme of fire risk assessments and preventative works across the city's green spaces to help reduce the risk of grass and vegetation fires during the current period of dry weather.

It comes as many recent 'wildfires' have been found to have human causes.

Two teenage boys were arrested on Sunday on suspicion of arson with intend to endanger life, four 14-year-old boys were arrested last week on suspicion of arson after a “deliberate fire” was set on a mountain in South Wales and a 50-year-old man has been charged with arson after several fires were reported in a park in East London.

As part of the Council's work, officers have reviewed guidance from Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service alongside relevant Government guidance to identify areas of increased risk and implement appropriate mitigation measures.

The programme is designed to help protect residents, visitors, wildlife, and public spaces while maintaining access to the city's parks and open spaces.

A range of preventative measures have been introduced, including the creation of fire breaks in selected locations, particularly where open spaces adjoin residential properties. In some areas, dried grass and vegetation have also been removed to help limit the potential spread of fire.

These measures appear particularly relevant as we learn a 23-year-old man and a 24-year-old woman from Stoke-on-Trent were arrested on suspicion of arson after a grass fire damaged four homes in the city.

The City Council say they have 'carefully balanced' these measures with its ongoing commitment to biodiversity and the protection of natural habitats.

Decisions regarding additional cutting and vegetation management have been guided by site-specific risk assessments, ensuring that fire prevention measures are proportionate and environmentally responsible.

The Council also says 'additional signage' has been installed at a number of locations across the city to raise public awareness of the heightened fire risk and to discourage the use of disposable barbecues and the lighting of open fires in parks and open spaces.

Cllr Jenny Bolwell, Chair of the Environment Committee said, “This work is an important part of reducing wildfire risk, but prevention is everyone’s responsibility.

"During periods of hot, dry weather, small campfires, barbecues, or even litter such as glass or reflective items, can start a fire that quickly becomes more serious".

More from Local News

On Air Now More Music Marathon 2:00pm - 3:00pm
Now Playing
I Just Might Bruno Mars
Recently Played
  • The Riddle Nik Kershaw 14:09
  • *Forget Me Lewis Capaldi 14:06
  • Would I Lie To You? Charles & Eddie 14:02

Listen Live

Listen on the go

Download our mobile apps and take Salisbury Radio where ever you go!

  • Available on the App Store
  • Available on Google Play

Weather

  • Wed

    23°C

  • Thu

    22°C

  • Fri

    21°C

  • Sat

    22°C

  • Sun

    23°C